Friday, February 25, 2011

That's a lot of nuts!

Last night I saw this commercial:


(Except the version I saw ended with "Cabin fever" and someone putting a do-not-disturb sign on their hotel door.)

So I had seem this commercial before, but I never paid much attention to it. This time I caught on to the cleverness of it all and it blew me away.
Me: "That commercial was so great!"
Roommate: "What? Why?"
Me: "Didn't you see it? They said things that people hate about winter, but showed stuff that's good because they're actually on vacation!"
Roommate: "Oh...really?"
Me: "Yeah...it's really clever"
Roommate remains un-phased and carries on with her facebook stalking.

Since I've been in this advertising class I just analyze everrryything. My roommates really love watching TV with me now because after every other commercial I will say something like "Wow, they need a new ad campaign." or "That was a great ad!" etc.
I just can't help it!
I kind of love rhetorical analysis.
Sometimes...I open my book about rhetoric from AP English junior year of high school and just read parts of it. Because it's like a really really good book.

While I was taking that AP class I kind of stalked the author, because he had such an entertaining voice in his writing. So I found his website, or blog or something and saw that there was a comment board. I asked him about his book and for advice on an assignment in class and he totally responded. It was the best day of my life (August 17th, 2007) and the closest brush with fame I've ever had (besides when Elder Holland called BYU info and I found out about it the next day at work).
Needless to say, I'm pretty into the art of persuasion. (JUST ASK ALL THE FELLAS LOL JK). Which makes me inclined to this study of advertising.

Maybe someday I will become a great rhetorician.

No comments:

Post a Comment